Marion Township, Berks County, Pennsylvania
Parts of this article (those related to demographics) need to be updated.(July 2014)
|• Total||15.13 sq mi (39.19 km2)|
|• Land||15.09 sq mi (39.07 km2)|
|• Water||0.05 sq mi (0.12 km2)|
|Elevation||404 ft (123 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||121.91/sq mi (47.07/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (EST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|Area codes||610, 717|
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 15.3 square miles (39.7 km2), of which 15.3 square miles (39.7 km2) is land and 0.07% is water.
- Tulpehocken Township (north)
- Jefferson Township (northeast)
- North Heidelberg Township (east)
- Heidelberg Township (southeast)
- Millcreek Township, Lebanon County (south)
- Jackson Township, Lebanon County (west)
|Source: US Census Bureau|
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,573 people, 524 households and 418 families living in the township. The population density was 102.6 per square mile (39.6/km2). There were 551 housing units at an average density of 36.0/sq mi (13.9/km2). The racial makeup of the township was 97.20% White, 1.02% African American, 0.38% Native American, 0.13% Asian, 0.45% from other races, and 0.83% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.40% of the population.
There were 524 households, of which 35.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 67.4% were married couples living together, 8.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 20.2% were non-families. 14.9% of all households were made up of individuals, and 5.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.98 and the average family size was 3.36.
In the township the population was spread out, with 28.6% under the age of 18, 8.4% from 18 to 24, 27.3% from 25 to 44, 25.2% from 45 to 64, and 10.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 113.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 106.1 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $47,396, and the median income for a family was $52,167. Males had a median income of $35,517 compared with $22,179 for females. The per capita income for the township was $19,373. About 2.2% of families and 3.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 3.3% of those under age 18 and 3.6% of those age 65 or over.
- "2016 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Aug 13, 2017.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. July 9, 2010.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Media related to Marion Township, Berks County, Pennsylvania at Wikimedia Commons